Mt. McKinley

Mt. McKinley
Peace in a photograph- Mt. McKinley

Sunday, April 24, 2011

Tattoos

I just had a conversation with a friend of mine over the weekend relating to tattoos.  She was of the mind that people in our particular profession shouldn't have visible tattoos.  Which has made me wonder... is not our profession the one that declares 'everyone is equal,' or as I would say never judge someone you briefly meet because you do not know their story.  A profession that has thrown away that hierarchical bullshit about 'bad literature' and who decries the 'librarian stereotype' whole heartedly.  If this is the case, why do most librarians still act superior to the patrons and why do most frown down on behavior they don't have in their 'code?'

I guess one would say to that 'But, really, that applies to every profession."  And, maybe that's true, but it still really bothers me.  Why do tattoos still have bad connotations about them no matter the content or reason behind them?  That said, obviously there are terrible tattoos and really bad decisions about some that are inked- I mean, if you had tattoos and piercings like this guy, I would hesitate about hiring you, too.


So, what is it about tattoos that are so contrary?  Is it simply what is marked on you?  Or is it the whole package?  Is my little Latin phrase just as bad as a heart with roses on the lower back typically known as a tramp stamp?  I don't know, but I do know that I like mine and I plan on getting more of them at some point along the road of life.  Do you have any tattoos?  What is your favorite one?  Or, what do you want to get?

Saturday song of the day: The 88 - At Least it was Here
Sunday song of the day: Phoenix - If I Ever Feel Better

No comments:

Post a Comment