Mt. McKinley

Mt. McKinley
Peace in a photograph- Mt. McKinley

Thursday, March 31, 2011

Arcade Fire's good deed

Our lives are becoming more and more stuffed with advertisements, and it's annoying me more and more.  Whether it's a TV show- like American Idol that runs air time for both Coke and Ford in addition to the long commercial breaks, or a music video from sell-out artists- like Avril Lavigne's music video for "What the Hell."  VEVO adds an ad before the video, and then there's 3 brands displayed in the video: Lavigne's perfume, designer Abbey Dawn's clothing line, and Sony cameras.

Not subtle product placement

Anyway, this is something that's very easy to bitch about.  And, it's only going to get worse.  Then, I got a much needed breath of fresh air this morning when I saw this news article from CNN.  Arcade Fire play surprise show in Haiti

With all of the crazy disasters the world has experienced in the recent past, it's easy to forget about how earthquake-battered this country still is.  The people of Haiti deserved this great night of entertainment, and Arcade Fire has been able to raise more than 1 million dollars in aid funding for relief projects.  This is a much better way to highlight your music.  Hurray Arcade Fire!  I would call this more than just a 'good deed!'

3 comments:

  1. Oh God, that VEVO video IS awful. :( Have I just gotten so used to product placement on tv, or is this video particularly horrendous at being "not so subtle"?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, I'm guessing it's not very common in music videos. Or at least, the ones I've seen. I bet it will become more common in pop/rap videos. The other one I've noticed is J-Lo's "On the Floor," which has BMW, Swardovski crystals, and some brand of liquor featured in it. So... this seems the genre that will force it on their fans.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Did you catch the Sony VAIO laptop too? *rolls eyes* I hope this isn't the new standard.

    ReplyDelete