Mt. McKinley

Mt. McKinley
Peace in a photograph- Mt. McKinley

Friday, April 15, 2011

Let's talk gross

One particularly unsettling fascination I have is with diseases and parasites.  I don't know why this is, I do have a leaning towards the morbid, though, so perhaps that is a good enough reason for the interest.

For example, I once got pretty sick a couple years ago but I only had your standard run of the mill cold symptoms.  I didn't go see a doctor for a very long time- probably 4 weeks in to being sick I finally made myself go.  So, I sit through the horrible ordeal of being at a freakin' clinic, waiting for the doctor, all that really unfun stuff.  The doctor checks me out, contemplates all the little fascinating notes he's made, and then has the audacity to tell me that I am experiencing a "double cold."

Is that not the lamest fucking outcome?  I got two colds back to back.  If I am going to be sick for a month, I want it to be something like scarlet fever, whooping cough, pneumonia, ebola, west nile... you get the picture.  What kind of shit story is that to tell someone?  Turns out- double cold! Worst. Story. Ever.  I'm pretty sure I'm the odd person here, who else agrees with me??  Anyway, there's so much to talk about with these two very interesting topics that I will only be brushing the surface of talking about them.

Let's start with some real fucking weird diseases.  This list as some classics like elephantiasis and pica, but also some really interesting ones like Blaschko's lines and Walking corpse syndrome.

Then, there's parasites. What more can be said?  I get hooked on Animal Planet's Monsters Inside Me, and I also don't have a desire to go to Africa, South America, or Asia because of the nasty shit all these places have- including the most horrific parasites on Earth.  Here's some parasites in a picture gallery.

Monsters Inside Me - Maggots in My Head
Monsters Inside Me - Worm in My Butt

So, go out and do some more exploring on these two incredibly interesting subjects, and also tell me what you think about them, or what your favorites are. Mmmkay?

Song of the day! Pixies - Where is My Mind?
If I had something nasty, I can imagine myself tweaking like this song encourages.

1 comment:

  1. Have you read Peeps? It sounds right up your alley. :) Parasites galore. Both engrossing and just plain gross. :)

    ReplyDelete